Recycling is as important as ever. Cuyahoga residents can continue to support the success of their community recycling program by reducing contamination and recycling right.
Drop-Off Recycling Options
Some drop-off recycling options are available for Cleveland residents, including for aluminum cans, mixed paper and cardboard at different locations throughout the city. For more information, view list on the Solid Waste District website.
5 Ways to Recycle Right
Done correctly, recycling is an easy way to make a difference in preserving the planet.
- Leave recyclables loose/not bagged. Plastic bags do not belong in your recycling bin or cart. Plastic bags get tangled in the sorting machines at the recycling facilities and cause major problems for the recycling process. Plastic bags can be recycled at many retail locations, including stores such as:
- Giant Eagle
- Lowe's Home Improvement
- Make sure it's clean and empty. Rinse residue from cartons, containers, bottles and jars or any other recyclable that may contain food particles; for example, greasy pizza boxes are not acceptable
- Keep it dry. When it comes to paper and cardboard, keeping it dry is imperative for the recycling process. Please flatten all cardboard boxes as well
- Don't "wishcycle"; think you can throw everything into your recycling bin and it will get sorted out at the recycling plant? Think again. Recycling only these five core items is paramount:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Paper and boxes
- Plastic bottles and jugs
- Join a social media community. Share a post. Do a story. Get engaged with social media accounts in your community. You'll find Cuyahoga County's accounts located on: